The columns of information in semen and bull sale catalogs seem to get larger and more complex every season. Genetics and genomics can certainly add to confusion and overwhelm a producer considering A.I. or a buyer on sale day.
A cooperative effort between Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, Prairie State Select Sires and Agrarian Marketing Corporation will address this confusion at seven clinics scheduled across the predominant cow-calf sector of Iowa in February.
“The clinic program will help producers focus on the columns of information most important to their production goals and their bottom line,” said Patrick Wall, beef program specialist with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. “We’ll try to break down how $Values Indexes work, how genomics can add to EPD reliability, and how to avoid pitfalls in selection decisions. Most importantly, attendees will learn how to apply the information to their own cow herd.”
Wall has prior experience with genetic evaluation, $Value Index development and genomic testing. He and other presenters will explain and discuss genetic selection decisions with the goal of giving attendees more confidence in decision making.
Bull Selection Clinic dates, locations and times
- Feb. 23, Creston – SW Iowa Community College, 1501 W. Townline St., Creston, 6:30 to 9 p.m.
- Feb. 24, Adel – Raccoon Valley Bank Community House, 1016 Main St., Adel, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 24, Chariton – McNay Research Farm, 45249 170th Ave., Chariton, 6:30 to 9 p.m.
- Feb. 25, Brooklyn – Manatt Community Center, 105 Jackson St., Brooklyn, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb. 26, Williamsburg – St. Mary’s Hall, 102 E. Penn St., Williamsburg, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Feb 26, Fairfield – 4-H Activities Building., Jefferson County Fairgrounds, Fairfield, 6:30 to 9 p.m.
- Feb. 27, Tipton – US Bank (basement), 102 E. 5th St., Tipton, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
All meetings are free, but preregistration is necessary. To preregister, call Prairie State Select Sires at 888-464-5282, ext. 28, and provide name, phone number, meeting location attending and number of attendees. A complimentary steak dinner will be provided at all locations. For additional information, contact Wall at 515-450-7665 or view the series flyer on the Iowa Beef Center website www.iowabeefcenter.org .