Blog: Will EPA rewrite Midwest runoff regs?
Editor's Note: Gary H. Baise is an Illinois farmer and trial attorney at the law firm Olsson Frank Weeda Terman Matz PC, specializing in agricultural and environmental issues in state and federal court. He also serves as outside General Counsel for the U.S. Grains Council, Agricultural Retailers Association, National Association of Wheat Growers, National Sorghum Producers and counsel to the American Soybean Association.In the Legal Outlook blog, Baise will shed light on legal issues facing agriculture. Additionally, he will include his impressions on what these issues mean to producers. A U.S. District Court judge in Louisiana has ordered EPA... View Blog Post »
Legal Outlook: Is livestock production causing climate change?
The new 2013 FAO Report from Rome states: "Livestock matters to climate change. The sector contributes 7.1 gigatonnes (giga=billion) CO2-eq (equivalent) to global anthropogenic GHG emissions – a contribution that can be readily reduced by up to one-third – placing the sector as an integral part of any solution to climate change. Once again, the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) has weighed-in against agriculture and livestock. The 115-page FAO report titled "Tackling Climate Change Through Livestock" was released Sept. 26. The report was written by several people, including Dr. Pierre Gerber, a... View Blog Post »
- Pork Product Remains in Good Shape
- Grasses were forged for a different world
- Five things you need to know about the Affordable Care Act
- This may be the set-up that finally makes intensive grazing a practical anternative to intensive feedlots
- Aug. 1, 2013 - OiI in lean hogs down 4,500 on yesterday’s lower close
- Aug. 6, 2013 - Fifty cattle deliveries posted on FND against August live cattle
- Animal activists: Keep fairs fair
- What Would it Take to Eradicate Trich?
- Fly tagging stockers: Worth it?
- Does deworming calves on top of vaccination risk weakening your disease protection?
- Will breeding for calm temperament really make a difference in feedlot pneumonia losses?
- Grain Exports Falling - U.S. Demand Dropping
- Protect your farm and remove the gag
- Self-Exploration Drives Success
- Aug. 7, 2013 - All 50 cattle delivery notices from FND retendered and demanded
- A look at the high, and increasing, cost of treating feedlot respiratory disease
- Aug. 14, 2013 - Eye-Opening grain report
- When your cousin goes vegan
- Getting to know our true stakeholders
- What We (Still) Have Here is a Failure to Communicate