Cattle producers can learn about new manure regulations and how to repair their pastures after the summer drought at the Indiana Beef Cattle Association's annual area beef meetings.
Purdue University and the IBCA will host the meetings at 10 sites December through January.
"This is going to be the most up-to-date information that we can provide to farmers relating to the drought and upcoming rules and regulations that are going to impact operations," said Ron Lemenager, Purdue Extension beef specialist.
Lemenager said farmers need to know about manure management changes that will take effect in February. He said most beef producers would be affected if they have any hay waste around a feed area that will be land applied. They will need to have a plan in place for disposal under the new rules.
Other topics include an industry update from the association; what to look forward to in the upcoming growing season for pastures and forages; and, depending on advancement of proposed new regulations, a possible update on feed-grade antibiotic use.
Meeting dates and locations are:
- Area 1: Dec. 6, 6:30 p.m., Southeast Purdue Agricultural Center, Butlerville. Register with Ken Salkeld at 812-352-3033 by Dec. 3. Counties in this area are Bartholomew, Brown, Dearborn, Decatur, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Ohio, Ripley and Switzerland.
- Area 2: Jan. 12, 11 a.m., Southern Hills Church, Salem. Register by Jan. 4 with Brad Shelton at 812-883-4601. Counties: Clark, Crawford, Floyd, Harrison, Lawrence, Orange, Scott and Washington.
- Area 3: Jan. 7, 6:30 p.m., Red Wagon Restaurant, Poseyville. Register with Purdue Extension Gibson County at 812-385-3491 by Jan. 4. Counties: Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Knox, Martin, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh and Warrick.
- Area 5: Dec. 18, 6:30 p.m., Exhibit Hall, Clay County Fairgrounds, Brazil. Register by Dec. 11 with Jenna Smith at 812-448-9041. Counties: Clay, Greene, Monroe, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Vermillion and Vigo.
- Area 6: Dec. 12, 6:30 p.m., Witham Pavilion, Boone County Fairgrounds, Lebanon. Register by Dec. 6 with Ashley Schultz at 317-736-3724. Counties: Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Marion, Morgan and Shelby.
- Area 7: Dec. 11, 6:30 p.m., Kuhlman Center, Wayne County Fairgrounds, Richmond. Register with Purdue Extension Wayne County at 765-932-9281 by Dec. 5. Counties: Blackford, Delaware, Fayette, Franklin, Henry, Jay, Madison, Randolph, Rush, Union and Wayne.
- Area 8: Jan. 8, 6:30 p.m., Cass County Fairgrounds, Logansport. Register by Dec. 28 with Purdue Extension Cass County at 574-753-7750. Counties: Carroll, Cass, Clinton, Fulton, Grant, Howard, Miami, Tipton and Wabash.
- Area 9: Dec. 10, 6:30 p.m., McGraw's Steakhouse, West Lafayette. Register with Jeff Phillips at 765-474-0793 by Dec. 5. Counties: Benton, Fountain, Jasper, Montgomery, Newton, Pulaski, Tippecanoe, Warren and White.
- Area 10: Dec. 13, 6 p.m. (CDT), Christo's Banquet Center, Plymouth. Register by Dec. 7 with Kelly Heckaman at 574-372-2340. Counties: Elkhart, Kosciusko, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Porter, St. Joseph and Starke.
- Area 11: Jan. 3, 6:30 p.m., Eagles Nest, Columbia City. Register by Dec. 31 with Ed Farris at 260-358-4826. Counties: Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, Wells and Whitley.
More information is available by contacting the Indiana Beef Cattle Association at 317-293-2333 or http://www.indianabeef.org