Marinade time: 30 minutes
Total recipe time: 55 to 60 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 4 beef shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks (about 8 ounces each)
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn, in husks
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- 1 small red finger chili (cayenne) pepper or serrano pepper
- Lime wedges
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lime peel
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Pull back husks from corn, leaving husks attached. Remove and discard corn silk. Bring husks back up around corn; tie in place with kitchen string or strips of corn husk. Soak corn in cold water 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Combine rub ingredients. For Cumin-Lime Butter, combine 2 teaspoons rub mixture, butter and lime juice in small bowl; set aside. Press remaining rub evenly onto beef steaks. Cover and refrigerate steaks 30 minutes.
- Remove corn from water. Place on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; grill, covered, 20 to 30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. About 15 minutes before corn is done, move ears to outer edge of grid. Place poblano and finger chili pepper in center of grid; grill poblano pepper 10 to 15 minutes and chili pepper 5 minutes or until skins are completely blackened, turning occasionally. Place peppers in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Set aside.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove and discard husks from corn. Cover and refrigerate 2 steaks, 2 ears corn and grilled peppers to use in Steak and Grilled Corn Tortillas. Carve remaining 2 steaks into slices. Squeeze lime wedges over beef, as desired. Spread Cumin-Lime Butter over remaining 4 ears corn. Season beef and corn with salt and black pepper, as desired.
For more recipes visit www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com