Cattle producers interested in adding cattle to their herds can take advantage of a program developed by Kansas State University to improve management techniques and marketability of heifers.
The Sunflower Supreme program is intended to help Kansas beef cattle operations interested in cow herd repopulation. Through interactions with university extension agents and their veterinarian, cattle producers learn “best management” guidelines for replacement heifers.
The program’s website offers guidance and tools to assist with improving reproductive performance of replacement heifers and increasing cow longevity within the herd.
The primary areas of emphasis in this program include:
- Vaccination and health guidelines
- Reproductive management tools to improve breeding success
- Evaluation of sires to minimize calving difficulty
- Marketing opportunities
- Data collection and management for improved herd records
The program considers improvements in herd health through a stronger relationship with veterinarians and the use of available technologies and genetic tools. The program targets decreases to dystocia issues and creating a whole herd health program.
In order to correctly execute management techniques, participants in the Sunflower Supreme program are required to complete Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) training before or around enrollment time.
The program is a joint effort between the university and the Kansas Department of Agriculture.
For more information, visit the Sunflower Supreme program website.
Upcoming program dates include:
- Sept. 4, 6 p.m. — Free BQA Certification at Paola Livestock Auction. Pre-registration for the included meal is requested one week prior to the event by calling the Beef Cattle Institute at (785) 532-4844 or emailing email@example.com.
- Sept. 25, 6:30 p.m. — Sunflower Supreme Informational meeting at Erie, Kan. Contact your local Extension agent or SEK Genetics for more information.
- Oct. 1 — Producers who are interested in enrolling their 2013 spring-born heifers need to submit the membership fee and correct paperwork. - See more at: http://www.herald-online.com/republic-online/article_5d0e5e78-df30-58a1-b682-f2acb1981ee5.html#sthash.esWksRvQ.dpuf