The health of an unborn calf should never be gambled on, and no one can question the value of a pregnant female. Recently acquired label claims from the Express® FP family of products mean beef producers now have reassurance of its protection against key reproductive diseases and disease-induced losses.
Beginning in spring 2012, the Express FP family of vaccines will be labeled with three key new claims:
- Aids in the prevention of abortion due to infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR)
- A demonstrated 12-month duration of immunity (DOI) against:
- IBR-induced abortion
- Bovine viral diarrhea (BVD) Types 1 and 2. This also includes protection against persistently infected (PI) calves caused by BVD
- Flexibility in vaccination with approval to administer to pregnant cattle provided they were vaccinated with any Express FP vaccine in the last 12 months according to label directions
“Protecting the reproductive health of the cow herd is so important for any successful cow-calf operation,” Dr. Joe Campbell, Professional Services Veterinarian with Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc., said in a news release. “Express FP and its expanded label is one way we at Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc. are making a commitment to provide producers with tools to help prevent disease and help cattle perform to their highest potential.”
These new claims add to Express FP’s reputation as one of the most complete modified-live virus (MLV) reproductive vaccine families on the market. Backed by a solid foundation of research, Express FP vaccines are also labeled to:
- Prevent PI calves caused by BVD Types 1 and 2
- Prevent urinary shedding of Leptospira borgpetersenii serovar hardjo (type hardjo-bovis)
- Aid in the prevention of respiratory disease caused by IBR virus, BVD Types 1 and 2, and bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV)
- Aid in the reduction of respiratory disease caused by parainfluenza 3 (PI3)
- Aid in the reduction of infertility, delayed conception or abortion caused by Campylobacter fetus var. venerealis, and leptospirosis caused by five serovars of Leptospira.
“Express FP vaccines are exactly what producers are looking for in their herd health protocols,” Dr. Campbell said. “There are several combinations to fit your herd’s needs, and every vaccine is backed by a foundation of research and a label that spells out premier reproductive protection.”
For more information on Express FP products, contact your herd veterinarian, Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc. representative, or visit ExpressVaccine.com/Beef.
Note: Prevention Works does not imply prevention label claims for use of a vaccine/vaccines