Have You Herd…
… “Like” MyBeefCheckoff on Facebook for the latest news and updates.
… Mike Bumgarner summarizes the recent Antibiotic Use in Food Animals: A Dialogue for a Common Purpose symposium, sponsored in part by the beef checkoff.
… November BQA tip: Calving difficulty has lifelong effects
Checkoff Meetings Open to All Checkoff Investors at No Charge
Reminder to all cattle farmers, ranchers and importers: All beef checkoff meetings are open to every person who pays the checkoff. During the upcoming 2012 Cattle Industry Conference in Nashville, Tenn., these meetings include meetings of the Cattlemen’s Beef Board (CBB); Federation of State Beef Councils (Federation) and joint committee meetings that include checkoff representation. We've made it easy for those interested to participate.
Click here for more registration details.
December Veal Recipe
It’s December and everyone is tired of Thanksgiving leftovers. Warm up and try something new with Veal & Vegetable Soup! It’s warm and toasty and less than 300 calories.
Total preparation and cooking time: 1-1/2 hours (makes 6 servings)
- 2 pounds veal for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ½ C water
- 1 can (14 to 14 ½ ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh marjoram or 1 ½ dried marjoram leaves, crushed
- ¼ tsp coarse grind black pepper
- ½ pound red potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes (approx. 1 ¾ cups)
- 1 ½ C fresh corn kernels or frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into ¼ inch slices
1. In Dutch oven, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat until hot. Add veal and garlic, ½ at a time, and brown evenly, stirring occasionally; add remaining oil as needed. Return all veal to pan; season with salt.
2. Add water, broth, marjoram and pepper to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and corn; continue simmering, covered, 15 minutes or until veal and vegetables are tender. Add zucchini; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
For more great veal recipes, visit VealMadeEasy.com.
Dairy Producer Profile: Keith York
Keith York runs a 1,300 cow family dairy operation just south of Geneva Lake, Wisc. He’s been on that farm ever since he was born and says he’s seen a lot of changes in the industry in the past 10 years. Listen to more (audio 1) from Keith in his two audio interviews (audio 2) with Dairyline Radio.