A total of $18,000 in cash prizes was awarded on February 12, 2013, to winners of the 2013 World Ag Expo Forage Challenge, presented by Mycogen Seeds. Finalists were chosen from more than 90 entries submitted from the western United States.
The competition challenged farmers to enter and see who produced the highest-quality forage in the West. Samples of the finalists' entries will be on display in World Ag Expo's Hospitality Center on East Greenbelt and Median Street.
Lallemand Animal Nutrition North America sponsored $18,000 in contest awards and prizes. First place winners in all three categories received $3,000; second place winners were awarded $2,000 and $1,000 was given to third place winners.
Farmers and ranchers from 11 western states were invited to enter the competition. Entries were judged in three categories: alfalfa hay, standard corn silage and brown mid-rib (BMR) corn silage. Cash prizes were awarded based on forage lab analyses, along with a visual evaluation of the entries by experts in dairy nutrition and forage production.
2013 World Ag Expo Forage Challenge Winners
- 1st Place - David Hinman, Hardrock Farms Inc., Wheatland, WY
- 2nd Place - Daryl Tiltrum, Dipper Tree Sheep LLC, Wheatland, WY
- 3rd Place - Rick and Kim Perigo, Valiant Penny Hay Co., Lun, NV
Corn Silage BMR
- 1st Place - Jake Bosma, Bosma Milk Co. Tipton, California
- 2nd Place - Mike Barcellos, Monster Dairy, Newman, California
- 3rd Place - Tony Louters, Tony Louters Dairy, Merced, California
Corn Silage Non-BMR
- 1st Place - Dino Giacomazzi, Giocomazzi Dairy/Farms, Hanford, CA
- 2nd Place - Kelly Callahan, Royal Turf Farms, Royal City, WA
- 3rd Place - Bert Weststeyn, Weststeyn Dairy, Linden, CA