The Kansas Farm Service Agency (FSA) announced last week emergency grazing of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acreage has been approved for seven counties, including Ellis, Graham, Lane, Osborne, Rooks, Trego and Wallace.

Emergency grazing is allowed through September 30, 2012. Participants must leave at least 25% of each field or contiguous CRP fields ungrazed for wildlife, or graze at no more than 75% of the specified stocking rate. Those choosing the emergency CRP grazing option must accept a 25% annual rental payment reduction on the acres grazed.

CRP participants in approved counties should contact their local FSA county office to request an emergency grazing contract prior to use. Producers must work with the Natural Resources Conservation Service to develop a forage management plan on the acres grazed.

For more information visit