The United States Cattlemen's Association (USCA) will be traveling the countryside later this month, meeting with cattle producers to discuss the issues of importance to the U.S. cattle industry. A large part of this year's auction market tour will focus on country of origin labeling (COOL). On Friday, August 9, USCA, in conjunction with National Farmers Union, American Sheep Industry Association and the Consumers Federation of America, filed with the District Court in Washington, D.C. a motion to intervene in the lawsuit filed on July 8 by National Cattlemen's Beef Association, American Meat Institute, Canadian Cattlemen's Association, Mexico's National Confederation of Livestock Organizations and five other groups seeking an end to COOL. USCA is firmly committed to ensuring that COOL remains the law of the land.
Jess Peterson, USCA Executive Vice President, noted that each August, USCA travels to the countryside in order to meet with cattle producers. "The ongoing farm bill debate has been a hot topic over the past year," said Peterson. "However, the filing of a lawsuit to end COOL has sparked a groundswell of producer involvement. It's encouraging to see everyone in the countryside coming together to defend COOL. We have had a great response from local livestock markets and associations, which has in turn resulted in a great line-up of meetings in the coming weeks. If you would like to host an event in your area please let us know," said Peterson.
This tour will be focused on fundraising for the U.S. COOL Defense Fund that has been established by USCA Director Leo McDonnell. All money contributed to this fund will be directed to the defense of COOL. "Producers and auction markets are assisting with the fundraising effort and the process is gaining momentum," said Peterson, "so if you would like to host an event let me know." Events are already planned for the following locations:
- August 19th (Noon): Faith Livestock Market-Rollover Sale (Faith, SD)
- August 21st (5:30pm): Dean's Steakhouse-Fundraiser Dinner (Mandan, North Dakota)
- August 23rd (Noon): St. Onge Livestock Market-Rollover Sale (St. Onge, SD)
- August 26th (10:30am): Marias Fairgrounds Meeting/Update hosted by Marias River Livestock Association-(Shelby, MT)
- August 27th (Noon): Lewistown Livestock Auction-Rollover Sale (Lewistown, MT)
- August 28th (6:30 pm): Beartooth Fertilizer - Meeting/Update (Fox, MT)
- August 29th (Noon): Mobridge Livestock Auction-Rollover Sale (Mobridge, SD)