U.S. Premium Beef announced this week that it will extend its $35 per head Age and Source Verification (ASV) premium through May 29, 2010. USPB says this assures cattle feeders that USPB will pay an ASV premium on cattle that are harvested by May 29, 2010.
“Our commitment to pay the $35 per head ASV premium through May 29, 2010, is dependent upon the Japanese trade remaining open to U.S. beef products and our plants continuing to be approved to export to Japan,” USPB said in a statement.” If, during this time, the United States and Japanese governments agree to allow product from cattle under 30 months of age, instead of the current restriction of cattle that are 20 months of age or younger, USPB’s $35 per head ASV premium will still remain in effect through May 29, 2010.”
During fiscal year 2009, all USPB ASV cattle marketed through their Kansas plants averaged more than $64 per head in total grid premiums. That includes the $35 per head ASV premium.
According to USPB, the benefits of marketing age and source verified cattle through the program include:
- USPB offers $35 per head for finished, age and source verified cattle that are 20 months of age or younger. USPB is committed to this premium through May 29, 2010.
- USPB ASV premiums are in addition to all premiums currently offered, including branded beef premiums such as Certified Angus Beef®.
- USPB provides individual carcass data at no additional cost.
- A $0.60 per cwt. freight credit to help reduce transportation costs to deliver cattle to our plants.
- A $1 per head rebate for EID tags on cattle marketed to USPB Kansas plants, paid upon request.
For more information about USPB or marketing cattle on USPB’s grids, please call 866-877-2525. You can also visit www.uspremiumbeef.com.