Des Moines, IA Fri Mar 08, 2013 USDA Market News
USDA Carlot Meat 4:00 Summary, Compared to Previous Day
Prices in dollars per hundredweight, Equated to FOB Omaha Basis
NATIONAL BOXED BEEF CUTOUT
Boxed beef cutout values steady to firm on light demand and offerings.
Select and Choice rib cuts steady to firm while chuck, round and loin
items steady to weak. Beef trimmings higher on light to moderate demand
and light offerings.
Estimated composite cutout value of Choice 1-3 600-900 lbs
carcasses UP 0.38 at 197.28; Select 1-3 600-900 lbs carcasses
DN 0.16 at 194.93; based on 61.30 loads of Choice cuts, 24.55
loads of Select cuts, 7.28 loads of Trimmings, and 28.83
loads of coarse ground trimmings.
CARCASS PRICE EQUIVALENT INDEX VALUE
Estimated carcass price equivalent value of Choice 1-3 600-900 lbs
carcasses UP 0.45 at 185.76; Select 1-3 600-900 lbs carcasses UP 0.15
Current index reflects the equivalent of 119,580 head of cattle.
NATIONAL 5 DAY-ROLLING CUTTER COW CUTOUT
The Cutter cow carcass gross cutout value was estimated at 169.12
BY-PRODUCT DROP VALUE
Hide and offal from a typical slaughter steer was estimated at
13.86, DN 0.14.
NATIONAL CARLOT PORK
Sales reported on 47.13 loads of pork cuts and 6.0 loads of
Compared to Thursday's Close: Fresh 1/4" trimmed bone-in loins not
tested; butts steady to 3.00 lower; sknd hams 20-27 lbs steady; sdls bellies
along with lean trimmings not established. Trading slow to moderate, with
mostly light demand and mostly moderate offerings.
*Calculations for a 200 lb Pork Carcass 53-54 percent lean
0.65" -0.80" back fat at last rib.* **78.16 DN 0.75.**
20-23 lbs trim spec 1 64.00.
CARLOT LAMB CARCASS
DAILY CHOICE AND PRIME, YG 1-4 Head 1,821
Weight Head Wt Avg
45-DN 74 489.51
45-55# *Price not reported due to confidentiality*
55-65# 197 282.64
65-75# 490 256.24
75-85# 515 237.65
85-UP 471 213.30
ESTIMATED DAILY LIVESTOCK SLAUGHTER
Cattle: 110,000 Calves: 10,000; Hogs: 423,000; Sheep: 7,000
Source: USDA Market News Service, Des Moines, IA
Lucy Clark 515-284-4460 Desm.LGMN@ams.usda.gov
24 Hour recorded market information 515-284-4830
USDA Carlot Meat 4:00 Summary
- Family farm or corporate farm – which is it?
- AgriLife Extension unveils new feral hog management app
- Repurposing and salvage value on cattle operations
- Commentary: Death to ritual slaughter
- Implementation of 2014 Farm Bill allows farmers time for choices
- Livestock antimicrobial use once again in the headlines
- Commentary: Smoking or meat-eating?
- Using the “Nebraska advantage” to grow the livestock industry
- Cattle Outlook: Boxed beef prices advance, fed prices retract
- Weak Asian markets weighed on crop markets Sunday night
- Control weeds now for better pastures this summer
- D.C. Watch: California’s water woes reach Washington
Top Fill Slurry Tanks