Jefferson City, MO Tue Jul 17, 2012 MO Dept of Ag-USDA Market News
Patton-Patton Junction Livestock Auction
Feeder Cattle and Cow auction for 7/16/2012
Receipts: 633 Last Week: 742 Last Year: 593
Compared to last week, feeder steers under 500 lbs were 10.00-15.00 lower
with instances of 25.00 lower on featherweight steers. Weights over 500
lbs sold 3.00-5.00 lower. Feeder heifers faired somewhat better with
weights under 500 lbs 5.00-10.00 lower with heavier weights steady to 3.00
lower. Slaughter Cows and Bulls sold steady. With Feeder Cattle futures down
the limit at be beginning of the sale and remaining there for the remainder
of the day, the mood in barn was somber to say the least. With no end in
sight for the continuing dry conditions, not a lot of uplifting comments were
heard throughout the day. Market activity was slow with a light to moderate
supply and a very light to light demand. Cows made up approximately 25 percent
of the run, 75 percent feeders. Steers and bulls made up approximately 60
percent of the offering, 40 percent heifers. Near 16 percent of the run
weighed over 600 lbs.
Feeder Steers: Medium and Large 1 300-400 lbs 141.00-152.00; 400-500
lbs 132.50-135.00, pkg 415 lbs 150.00; 500-600 lbs 136.50-138.00, pkg 658
lbs 131.00. Medium and Large 1-2 few 250-275 lbs 140.00-150.00; 300-350
lbs 135.00-141.00; 350-400 lbs 120.00-132.00; 400-500 lbs 120.00-131.00;
500-600 lbs 121.00-134.00; few 600-650 lbs 117.00-124.00; 700-750 lbs
Feeder Heifers: Medium and Large 1 300-350 lbs 128.00-131.00; 400-500
lbs 120.00-131.50; 500-550 lbs 128.00-133.00; 600-650 lbs 116.00-120.50.
Medium and Large 1-2 300-400 lbs 121.00-129.00; 400-450 lbs 120.00-126.00;
450-500 lbs 113.00-122.00; 500-600 lbs 116.00-126.00; few 600-650 lbs 111.00-
Feeder Bulls: Medium and Large 1-2 few 350-400 lbs 116.00-125.00; few
450-500 lbs 116.00-127.00; 500-600 lbs 116.00-127.00; 600-650 lbs 115.00-
121.00; few 700-750 lbs 106.00-114.00.
Percent Lean Avg Dressing High Dressing Low Dressing
Breaking 75-80 70.00-74.00 74.50-79.50 68.00-70.50
Boning 80-85 69.00-75.50 74.50-76.50 65.00-70.00
Lean 85-90 64.50-68.50 70.00-73.00 61.00-64.50
Slaughter Bulls: Yield Grade 1-2 1250-2265 lbs, bulk 83.00-91.50.
High Dressing 90.50-97.00.
Replacement Cows: Medium and Large 1-2 5 yrs to short-solid, 920-1215
lbs, 2nd and 3rd stage, 810.00-950.00 per head.
Cow-calf pairs: Medium and Large 1-2 4-7 yrs, 900-1360 lbs with 100-300
lbs calves, 1050.00-1130.00 per pair. Medium and Large 1-2 7 yrs to short-
solid mouth, 1000-1300 lbs with 100-200 lbs calves, 900.00-1050.00 per pair.
Source: MO Dept of Ag-USDA Market News Service, Patton, MO
Dan Hill, Market Reporter, (573) 751-5618
State Wide Market Hotline 1-573-522-9244
Patton Junction Livestock Auction MO
- Farmers’ biggest issue may be consumer expectations in the future
- Monday Market Sentiment: 5-area cash cattle remains steady
- Value of beef exports up again in August
- Ag markets moved mostly higher Tuesday morning
- U.S. urges Japan to be 'bold' in Pacific trade pact talks
- $3.6M to assist California farmers with drought
- In the Cattle Markets: Northern Plains calf marketing situation
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- Feeder Cattle Review: Yearling feeder prices uneven
- Is there a right to farm?
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- U.S. Cattlemen's Association continues to support COOL
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- State cattlemen’s groups to USDA: Hands off the checkoff
- Six universities launch animal ag industry climate change website
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Commentary: Veggie burger vs. dog food
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges