The number of cattle on feed on May 1, 2011 in Kansas feedlots with 1,000 head or more capacity totaled 2.17 million head, up 2 percent from a year ago but down 1 percent from April 1. Placements during April totaled 380,000 head, up 21 percent from April 2010 but down 8 percent from March. This is the highest April placements since 2003. Marketings during April totaled 385,000 head, down 5 percent from April 2010 and down 11 percent from March. This is the lowest April marketings since 1995. Other disappearance was 15,000 head, down 5,000 head from a year ago but 5,000 head above the previous month. The percent of April placements by weight was: under 600 pounds, 16 percent; 600-699 pounds, 16 percent; 700-799 pounds, 34 percent; and 800 pounds or heavier, 34 percent.
Kansas Cattle on Feed up 2 percent
- Ohio State offers commercial pesticide applicator recertification
- Red Angus selection indices estimate profitability
- Ag conservation publication available from Purdue Extension
- Trick or truth on Clean Water Act rule
- Surging U.S. dollar values weighed on ag markets Friday morning
- Team Beef beat the bridge at 2014 Marine Corps Marathon