Columbia, SC Wed Jan 16, 2013 USDA-SC Dept Ag Market News
SC Farm Report on Wednesday
Cattle at SC Auctions on Tuesday: Feeder cattle steady to 3.00 lower. Feeder
Steers: Medium and Large 1-2 400-500 lbs 151.00-185.00; 500-600 lbs 140.00-161.00.
Feeder bulls: 400-500 lbs 140.00-178.00; 500-600 lbs 125.00-154.00. Feeder heifers:
400-500 lbs 129.00-144.00; 500-600 lbs 119.00-134.00. Slaughter cows and bulls
unevenly steady. Breakers 75-80% lean 70.00-83.00; Boners 80-85% lean 70.00-82.50;
Lean 85-90% lean 62.00-72.00. Cow/Calf Pairs: Medium and Large 1-2 965-1335 lbs young
to middle age cows with 120-290 lbs calves 1155.00-1440.00 per pair.
Hogs on Tuesday: Plant delivered weighted average. National Direct Barrows & Gilts
US 1 50-54% lean 240-300 lbs at 64.25, up 1.65. Sows live price 300-450 lbs 46.28;
450-500 lbs 51.88; 500-550 lbs 53.48.
SC Grain on Wednesday. Corn was steady to 3 cents higher; processor bids 7.51-8.33.
Soybeans were 21 to 37 cents higher; elevator bids 13.21-14.06, processor bid 14.37.
Wheat was steady to 3 cents higher, elevator bids 5.72-6.85, Columbia 7.75.
Cotton on Wednesday. Southeast base price for 41-4/34 was 74.58, up 1.12.
Fruits & Vegetables: Prices paid to SC growers at the Columbia State Farmers Market
on Wednesday. Broccoli 20 lbs ctns Crown Cut 14.00; Cabbage 50 lb ctns Green type
10.00-12.00; Greens dz bchs Collards 12.00-16.00, Mustard/ Turnips/Rutabagas 13.00-
18.00; Onions, Green 2 dz bnchs Med 9.00; Pecans per lb Stuarts 1.50-3.00, Cracked
Stuarts 3.00, Shelled 8.00; Peppers, bell 1 1/9 buctns Red Jbo 18.00; Peppers, Other
1/2 buctns Jalapeno Green 13.00; Squash 1 1/9 buctns Butternut 18.00, Acorn Med 14.00;
Sweet Potatoes 40 lb ctns Orange Flesh Varieties 16.00-18.00; Tomatoes 25 lb ctns Vine
Ripe Turning Red Xlge & Larger 15.00; Turnips 25 lb sks Topped 12.00. OUT OF STATE
PRODUCE: Apples buctns Red/Gold/ Rome 15.00-22.00, Mutzu/ Granny Smith 22.00; Beans
bucrts Snap type 22.00; Corn 4 dz crts Bi-color/ Yellow/White 18.00; Tomatoes 25 lb
ctns 25 lb ctns Vine Ripe Turning Red Xlge & Lgr 14.00-18.00; Grapefruit 4/5 buctns
Red type 40ct 16.00; Oranges 4/5 Navel 64s 20.00-21.00; Tangerines 25 lb ctns Fallglo/
For detailed reports go to www.ams.usda.gov/marketnews.htm or
www.agriculture.sc.gov/ Or phone USDA-SCDA Market News at 803-737-4491 or 4497.
Source: South Carolina Dept of Ag-USDA Market News, Columbia, SC
South Carolina Daily Farm Report
- In the Cattle Markets: Northern Plains calf marketing situation
- Feeder Cattle Review: Yearling feeder prices uneven
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- U.S. cattle industry grapples with quality versus quantity
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- State cattlemen’s groups to USDA: Hands off the checkoff
- Six universities launch animal ag industry climate change website
- Commentary: Veggie burger vs. dog food
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges
- Rabobank projects substantial growth in Brazil feedlot sector