Sioux Falls, SD Wed Jan 23, 2013 USDA Dept of Ag Market News
Midwest Hay and Straw Co. for Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013
Receipts: 9 Loads
All prices dollars per ton, except straw, dollars per bale.
One load Small Squares equals approximately 5 tons;
Large Squares and Large Rounds range from 10-25 tons per load.
Alfalfa: Premium: Large Rounds, 4 loads 260.00-300.00. Fair:
Large Rounds, 2 loads 195.00.
Grass Hay: Premium: Large Rounds, 1 load 180.00.
Wheat Straw: Small Squares, 1 load 3.25/bale.
Alfalfa guidelines (domestic livestock use and not more than 10 pct
Quality ADF NDF RFV TDN-100 pct TDN-90 pct CP
Supreme <27 <34 >185 >62 >55.9 >22
Premium 27-29 34-36 170-185 60.5-62 54.5-55.9 20-22
Good 29-32 36-40 150-170 58-60 52.5-54.5 18-20
Fair 32-35 40-44 130-150 56-58 50.5-52.5 16-18
Utility >35 >44 <130 <56 <50.5 <16
RFV calculated using the WI/MN formula. TDN calculated using the
western formula. Quantitative factors are approximate and many factors
can affect feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter.
Quantitative factors are approximate, and many factors can affect
feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter. End usage may
influence hay price or value more than testing results.
Grass Hay guidelines
Quality Crude Protein Percent
Premium Over 13
Utility Under 5
Source: USDA Dept of Ag Market News Service, Des Moines, IA
Jodee Inman, 515-284-4460 Desm.firstname.lastname@example.org
Midwest Hay and Straw Co
- Feedlot management: The key to finding and keeping good help
- Cattle Outlook: Exports down in July, imports up
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Red meat and exercise increases muscle longevity
- Rebuilding the Beef Herd program to help cattle producers
- Ag credit conditions remain strong despite lower farm income
- Easy rider: Turn UTVs into ranch workhorses
- I'll have a bunless burger with cheese, please
- Feeder Cattle Review: Feeder cattle break downward trend
- Review: Transportation shrink in beef cattle
- BeefTalk: Yes, the Shorthorns have new EPDs
- Boxers or Briefs? Underwear buried to demonstrate unhealthy soil