Des Moines, IA Wed Apr 17, 2013 USDA Dept of Ag Market News
Midwest Hay and Straw Co. for Tuesday, April 16, 2013
All prices dollars per ton, except where noted.
Receipts: 14 Loads
One load Small Squares equals approximately 5 tons;
Large Squares and Large Rounds range from 10-25 tons per load.
Alfalfa: Supreme: Large Squares, 1 load 275.00; Large Rounds, 6 loads,
270.00-290.00. Premium: Large Squares, 1 load 260.00; Large Rounds,
2 loads 240.00-255.00.
Grass: Supreme: Large Rounds, 1 load 270.00. Fair: Large Rounds,
1 load 150.00.
Cornstalks: Large Squares, 1 load 55.00.
Straw: Large Squares, 1 load 100.00.
Alfalfa guidelines (domestic livestock use and not more than 10 pct
Quality ADF NDF RFV TDN-100 pct TDN-90 pct CP
Supreme <27 <34 >185 >62 >55.9 >22
Premium 27-29 34-36 170-185 60.5-62 54.5-55.9 20-22
Good 29-32 36-40 150-170 58-60 52.5-54.5 18-20
Fair 32-35 40-44 130-150 56-58 50.5-52.5 16-18
Utility >35 >44 <130 <56 <50.5 <16
RFV calculated using the WI/MN formula. TDN calculated using the
western formula. Quantitative factors are approximate and many factors
can affect feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter.
Quantitative factors are approximate, and many factors can affect
feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter. End usage may
influence hay price or value more than testing results.
Grass Hay guidelines
Quality Crude Protein Percent
Premium Over 13
Utility Under 5
Source: USDA Market News Service, Des Moines, IA
Ami Rayer, 515-284-4460 Desm.firstname.lastname@example.org
24 hour recorded market information 515-284-4830
Midwest Hay and Straw Co
- MU meat study looks at how value cuts affect ground chuck
- Kitchens could be sources of drug-resistant bacteria
- U.S. barbecues grow pricier as beef, pork reach record highs
- Food shortages could be most critical world issue by mid-century
- Breeding soundness exam: Insurance for your breeding season
- Community-led development makes difference in Senegalese village
- Defiant Nevada rancher wins ‘range war’ with feds…for now
- Jolley: The feds have been bundied
- Making recommendations on climate change mitigation
- Jolley: Five minutes with CSPI's bad science
- Ukraine-Russia situation clearly supporting the crop markets
- Know young ag leaders? Nominate them for the 40 Under 40 award