Des Moines, IA Wed Aug 14, 2013 USDA Dept of Ag Market News
Midwest Hay and Straw Co. for Tuesday, August 13, 2013
All prices dollars per ton, except where noted.
Receipts: 14 Loads
One load Small Squares equals approximately 5 tons;
Large Squares and Large Rounds range from 10-25 tons per load.
Alfalfa: Good: Large Rounds, 3 loads 180.00-200.00. Fair: Large
Rounds, 2 loads 150.00-155.00.
Grass: Fair: Large Rounds, 8 loads 130.00-155.00.
Mixed: Fair: Large Rounds, 1 load 135.00.
Alfalfa guidelines (domestic livestock use and not more than 10 pct
Quality ADF NDF RFV TDN-100 pct TDN-90 pct CP
Supreme <27 <34 >185 >62 >55.9 >22
Premium 27-29 34-36 170-185 60.5-62 54.5-55.9 20-22
Good 29-32 36-40 150-170 58-60 52.5-54.5 18-20
Fair 32-35 40-44 130-150 56-58 50.5-52.5 16-18
Utility >35 >44 <130 <56 <50.5 <16
RFV calculated using the WI/MN formula. TDN calculated using the
western formula. Quantitative factors are approximate and many factors
can affect feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter.
Quantitative factors are approximate, and many factors can affect
feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter. End usage may
influence hay price or value more than testing results.
Grass Hay guidelines
Quality Crude Protein Percent
Premium Over 13
Utility Under 5
Source: USDA Market News Service, Des Moines, IA
Ami Rayer, 515-284-4460 Desm.email@example.com
24 hour recorded market information 515-284-4830
Midwest Hay and Straw Co
- Water Supply Forecast: Record snow in Northwest, dry Southwest
- Beef Checkoff Presents the Power of Umami
- Soy, cotton futures led the ag markets Wednesday morning
- What’s in your Balage? Inadequate fermentation may risk Botulism
- The critical role of broadleaf pollinator plants in pastures
- Corn procurement strategies for cattle feeders
- Defiant Nevada rancher wins ‘range war’ with feds…for now
- Jolley: The feds have been bundied
- Jolley: Five minutes with CSPI's bad science
- Northeast started 2014 by “Livin’ Lean. Lovin’ Beef”
- Minimizing the risks of fescue toxicosis in cattle
- Ukraine-Russia situation clearly supporting the crop markets