Sioux Falls, SD Tue Mar 19, 2013 USDA Dept of Ag Market News
Pipestone, MN Hay and Straw Auction for Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013
Receipts: 73 Loads Week Ago: 61 Loads Year Ago: 73 Loads
All prices dollars per ton, except straw, dollars per bale.
One load Small Squares equals approximately 5 tons;
Large Squares and Large Rounds range from 10-25 tons per load.
Alfalfa: Premium: Large Squares, 2 loads 250.00-270.00; Large Rounds,
6 loads 255.00-285.00. Good: Large Rounds, 1 load 200.00. Fair:
Large Rounds, 1 load 160.00.
Grass: Premium: Large Rounds, 5 loads 230.00-250.00; Small Squares,
1 load, 200.00. Good: Large Rounds, 17 loads 180.00-215.00. Fair: Large
Rounds, 13 loads 135.00-175.00.
Mixed Alfalfa/Grass: Premium: Large Rounds, 3 loads 265.00-280.00.
Good: Large Rounds, 3 loads 220.00-245.00; Small Squares, 1 load 245.00.
Straw: Small Squares, 6 loads 300.00-4.05 per bale; Large Rounds, 1 load
55.00 per bale; Large Squares, 1 load 315.00.
Cornstalks: Large Rounds, 11 loads 36.00-48.00 per bale.
Alfalfa guidelines (domestic livestock use and not more than 10 pct
Quality ADF NDF RFV TDN-100 pct TDN-90 pct CP
Supreme <27 <34 >185 >62 >55.9 >22
Premium 27-29 34-36 170-185 60.5-62 54.5-55.9 20-22
Good 29-32 36-40 150-170 58-60 52.5-54.5 18-20
Fair 32-35 40-44 130-150 56-58 50.5-52.5 16-18
Utility >35 >44 <130 <56 <50.5 <16
RFV calculated using the WI/MN formula. TDN calculated using the
western formula. Quantitative factors are approximate and many factors
can affect feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter.
Quantitative factors are approximate, and many factors can affect
feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter. End usage may
influence hay price or value more than testing results.
Grass Hay guidelines
Quality Crude Protein Percent
Premium Over 13
Utility Under 5
Source: USDA Dept of Ag Market News Service, Sioux Falls, SD
Pipestone Hay and Straw Auction
- In the Cattle Markets: Northern Plains calf marketing situation
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- Is there a right to farm?
- Feeder Cattle Review: Yearling feeder prices uneven
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- U.S. Cattlemen's Association continues to support COOL
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- State cattlemen’s groups to USDA: Hands off the checkoff
- Six universities launch animal ag industry climate change website
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges
- Rabobank projects substantial growth in Brazil feedlot sector