Sioux Falls, SD Fri Nov 30, 2012 USDA Dept of Ag Market News
Rock Valley Hay Auction for Thursday, November 29, 2012
All prices dollars per ton, except where noted.
All sales FOB Rock Valley, Iowa, vicinity.
Receipts: 85 loads
One load Small Squares equals approximately 5 tons;
Large Squares and Large Rounds range from 10-25 tons per load.
Alfalfa: Supreme: Large Squares, 2 loads 295.00-305.00; Large Rounds, 6
loads 280.00-315.00. Premium: Large Rounds, 6 loads 245.00-270.00. Good:
Large Rounds, 1 load 200.00.
Grass: Premium: Large Squares, 1 load 230.00; Large Rounds, 8 loads
210.00-255.00; Small Squares, 3 loads 230.00-275.00. Good: Large Rounds,
28 loads 160.00-200.00. Fair: Large Rounds, 14 loads 125.00-155.00.
Utility: Large Rounds, 3 loads 75.00-100.00.
Mixed Hay: Premium: Large Squares, 1 load 300.00; Large Rounds, 5 loads
Cornstalks: Large Rounds, 4 loads 70.00-80.00.
Wheat Straw: Large Squares, 4 loads 70.00-132.50; Large Rounds, 2 loads
Alfalfa guidelines (domestic livestock use and not more than 10 pct grass)
Quality ADF NDF RFV TDN-100 pct TDN-90 pct CP
Supreme <27 <34 >185 >62 >55.9 >22
Premium 27-29 34-36 170-185 60.5-62 54.5-55.9 20-22
Good 29-32 36-40 150-170 58-60 52.5-54.5 18-20
Fair 32-35 40-44 130-150 56-58 50.5-52.5 16-18
Utility >35 >44 <130 <56 <50.5 <16
RFV calculated using the WI/MN formula. TDN calculated using the
western formula. Quantitative factors are approximate and many factors
can affect feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter.
Quantitative factors are approximate, and many factors can affect
feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter. End usage may
influence hay price or value more than testing results.
Grass Hay guidelines
Quality Crude Protein Percent
Premium Over 13
Utility Under 5
Source: USDA-IA Dept of Ag Market News Service, Des Moines, IA
Taylor Cox, 515-284-4460 Desm.firstname.lastname@example.org
Rock Valley Hay Auction
- In the Cattle Markets: Northern Plains calf marketing situation
- Feeder Cattle Review: Yearling feeder prices uneven
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- U.S. cattle industry grapples with quality versus quantity
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- State cattlemen’s groups to USDA: Hands off the checkoff
- Six universities launch animal ag industry climate change website
- Commentary: Veggie burger vs. dog food
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges
- Rabobank projects substantial growth in Brazil feedlot sector