Sioux Falls, SD Fri Dec 07, 2012 USDA Dept of Ag Market News
Rock Valley Hay Auction for Thursday, December 06, 2012
All prices dollars per ton, except where noted.
All sales FOB Rock Valley, Iowa, vicinity.
Receipts: 85 loads
One load Small Squares equals approximately 5 tons;
Large Squares and Large Rounds range from 10-25 tons per load.
Alfalfa: Supreme: Large Squares, 5 loads 300.00-335.00; Large Rounds,
8 loads 275.00-290.00. Premium: Large Square, 3 Loads 270.00-275.00;
Large Rounds, 12 loads 255.00-270.00. Good: Large Square, 1 load 220.00;
Large Rounds, 1 load 235.00.
Grass: Premium: Large Rounds, 1 loads 220.00; Small Squares,
1 loads 285.00. Good: Large Rounds, 17 loads 170.00-195.00. Fair:
Large Rounds, 8 loads 120.00-165.00. Utility: Large Rounds, 1 loads 90.00.
Mixed Hay: Premium: Large Rounds, 2 loads 220.00-250.00. Good:
Large Rounds, 4 loads 150.00-180.00.
Cornstalks: Large Rounds, 3 loads 72.50-82.50.
Wheat Straw: Large Squares, 3 loads 120.00-130.00; Large Rounds, 4 loads
Soybean Straw: Large Round, 1 Load 65.00.
Alfalfa guidelines (domestic livestock use and not more than 10 pct grass)
Quality ADF NDF RFV TDN-100 pct TDN-90 pct CP
Supreme <27 <34 >185 >62 >55.9 >22
Premium 27-29 34-36 170-185 60.5-62 54.5-55.9 20-22
Good 29-32 36-40 150-170 58-60 52.5-54.5 18-20
Fair 32-35 40-44 130-150 56-58 50.5-52.5 16-18
Utility >35 >44 <130 <56 <50.5 <16
RFV calculated using the WI/MN formula. TDN calculated using the
western formula. Quantitative factors are approximate and many factors
can affect feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter.
Quantitative factors are approximate, and many factors can affect
feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter. End usage may
influence hay price or value more than testing results.
Grass Hay guidelines
Quality Crude Protein Percent
Premium Over 13
Utility Under 5
Source: USDA-IA Dept of Ag Market News Service, Des Moines, IA
Taylor Cox, 515-284-4460 Desm.email@example.com
Rock Valley Hay Auction
- Farmers’ biggest issue may be consumer expectations in the future
- Monday Market Sentiment: 5-area cash cattle remains steady
- Value of beef exports up again in August
- Ag markets moved mostly higher Tuesday morning
- U.S. urges Japan to be 'bold' in Pacific trade pact talks
- $3.6M to assist California farmers with drought
- In the Cattle Markets: Northern Plains calf marketing situation
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- Feeder Cattle Review: Yearling feeder prices uneven
- Is there a right to farm?
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- U.S. Cattlemen's Association continues to support COOL
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- State cattlemen’s groups to USDA: Hands off the checkoff
- Six universities launch animal ag industry climate change website
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Commentary: Veggie burger vs. dog food
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges