Des Moines, IA Fri May 10, 2013 USDA Dept of Ag Market News
Rock Valley Hay Auction for Thursday, May 09, 2013
All prices dollars per ton, except where noted.
All sales FOB Rock Valley, Iowa, vicinity.
Receipts: 68 loads
One load Small Squares equals approximately 5 tons;
Large Squares and Large Rounds range from 10-25 tons per load.
Alfalfa: Supreme: Large Squares, 4 loads 270.00-285.00; Large Rounds,
7 loads 275.00-300.00. Premium: Large Squares, 4 load 240.00-250.00;
Large Rounds, 9 loads 240.00-265.00.
Grass: Supreme: Large Rounds, 2 loads 300.00-350.00. Premium: Small
Squares, 1 load 240.00; Large Squares, 1 load 245.00; Large Rounds, 2 loads
230.00-250.00. Good: Small Squares, 1 load 200.00; Large Rounds, 19 loads
170.00-220.00. Fair: Small Squares, 1 load 165.00; Large Rounds, 1 load
Mixed Hay: Supreme: Small Squares, 1 load 330.00. Premium: Large
Rounds, 2 loads 245.00-255.00. Good: Large Rounds, 1 load 190.00.
Cornstalks: Large Squares, 1 load 120.00; Large Rounds, 8 loads
Wheat Straw: Large Squares, 2 loads 130.00-200.00; Large Rounds, 2
Alfalfa guidelines (domestic livestock use and not more than 10 pct grass)
Quality ADF NDF RFV TDN-100 pct TDN-90 pct CP
Supreme <27 <34 >185 >62 >55.9 >22
Premium 27-29 34-36 170-185 60.5-62 54.5-55.9 20-22
Good 29-32 36-40 150-170 58-60 52.5-54.5 18-20
Fair 32-35 40-44 130-150 56-58 50.5-52.5 16-18
Utility >35 >44 <130 <56 <50.5 <16
RFV calculated using the WI/MN formula. TDN calculated using the
western formula. Quantitative factors are approximate and many factors
can affect feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter.
Quantitative factors are approximate, and many factors can affect
feeding value. Values based on 100 pct dry matter. End usage may
influence hay price or value more than testing results.
Grass Hay guidelines
Quality Crude Protein Percent
Premium Over 13
Utility Under 5
Source: USDA Market News Service, Des Moines, IA
Ami Rayer, 515-284-4460 Desm.email@example.com
24 hour recorded market information 515-284-4830
Rock Valley Hay Auction
- In the Cattle Markets: Northern Plains calf marketing situation
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- Feeder Cattle Review: Yearling feeder prices uneven
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- U.S. Cattlemen's Association continues to support COOL
- Is there a right to farm?
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- State cattlemen’s groups to USDA: Hands off the checkoff
- Six universities launch animal ag industry climate change website
- Commentary: Veggie burger vs. dog food
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges
- Rabobank projects substantial growth in Brazil feedlot sector