Minnesota producers are advised to be vigilant after a cow in northwest Minnesota died from anthrax.
According to Minnesota Public Radio, the death marks the first case in the state since 2008.
"Anthrax is a bacteria that can normally be found in certain types of soil," state animal health board veterinarian Linda Glaser said. "The bacteria can be in a very hardy form that can survive in the soil as a spore. And animals that would take in those spores, while they're grazing on land, taking in some of the dirt that may contain spores, can then become infected.
Glaser suggests that recent heavy rains in the area could have brought the anthrax to the surface, where the cow then ingested it.
The affected herd has since been quarantined. Other producers in the region should vaccinate their herds. Read more here.
North Dakota State University Extension specialists also urge producers to vaccinate their animals.
"Conditions this year are conducive to the development of anthrax," warns Charlie Stoltenow, North Dakota State University Extension Service veterinarian. "That is why cattle should be vaccinated before they are turned out onto pasture. Vaccination is especially important for livestock in areas with a history of anthrax."