Hay baled late needs supplements, but test first
Temperatures drop, sunshine dims and pastures stop growing. That’s when cow nutrition becomes critical, says Justin Sexten, University of Missouri Extension beef nutritionist. FULL STORY »
Conventionally produced beef…safe and sustainable?
We are all bombarded with the propaganda that conventionally raised beef is not healthy or sustainable by media, society, and even some of our fellow producers. FULL STORY »
Where is the safety net? There is no safety net
It could be worse than we thought. With record corn production in a year with heavy spring rains and late planting problems, the price drop in recent weeks suggests that corn demanders see the crop-reducing effects of 2012 drought as an aberration—since apparently improved seed genetics successfully protected 2013 corn production from moderate drought and planting problems. FULL STORY »
December 2013: Did you know...
You know that genetics set the base for profitability in all segments of the cattle industry. Earlier this year, Shawn Walter and Ron Hale of Professional Cattle Consultants summarized feedlot data showing what kind of cattle generate added dollars. And guess what? The high growth, high grading cattle were most profitable. FULL STORY »
Is hay still the best choice to winter cows?
The feed cost environment for 2013-2014 is dramatically different compared to last year. Corn and corn-derived feeds such as distiller’s grains and silage are only about half the cost of one year ago. FULL STORY »
- Feeding a growing world population starts from the ground up
- Cattle Market: Cattle prices stay hot as colder weather moves in
- Weekly beef export shipments fall near 10-week low
- Cold snap and ice threaten U.S. wheat, livestock, logistics
- Schwieterman: Cattle futures modestly higher Wednesday
- Exports: Corn sales still sliding
- Ethanol cut may drive down U.S. corn prices, drive up subsidies
- U.S. beef imports strengthen in 2012
- Bale grazing popularity continues to grow
- Burger King profit boosted by cost cuts, new food
- Resource guide assists military veterans interested in farming
- Thursday's auction offers fresh start for S.D. beef plant