Calf prices higher, feeders steady
Increased moisture in the West and Southwest has improved grazing prospects supporting stocker prices during November. According to Drovers' 50-market summary, steer calves 400 to 500 pounds averaged $103.22 per hundredweight. Feeder steers, 600 to 700 pounds were mostly steady at $86.82 per hundredweight. Heifer calves weighing 400 to 500 pounds sold for $92.48 per hundred- weight, up $2. Yearling heifers averaged $79.22 per hundredweight. Calf prices will trend higher in January. The corn market will largely determine the amount of price risk for feeder cattle in the new year.
- 300 Days of Grazing field day set for Nov. 18 at SWREC
- Surging soy, U.S. dollar quotes highlight Friday futures trading
- Emergency preparedness workshops planned for livestock operations
- Ohio State offers commercial pesticide applicator recertification
- Red Angus selection indices estimate profitability
- Ag conservation publication available from Purdue Extension