Calf prices higher, feeders steady
Increased moisture in the West and Southwest has improved grazing prospects supporting stocker prices during November. According to Drovers' 50-market summary, steer calves 400 to 500 pounds averaged $103.22 per hundredweight. Feeder steers, 600 to 700 pounds were mostly steady at $86.82 per hundredweight. Heifer calves weighing 400 to 500 pounds sold for $92.48 per hundred- weight, up $2. Yearling heifers averaged $79.22 per hundredweight. Calf prices will trend higher in January. The corn market will largely determine the amount of price risk for feeder cattle in the new year.
- Society for Range Management annual Texas meeting set for Oct.7-9
- Blasingame Chair: Reviewing the past and looking to the future
- Ag markets ended Tuesday mostly lower
- Beef Marketing Group created to help producers sell cattle
- Islamic State uses agriculture to tighten grip in Iraq
- Texas A&M Extension offers private pesticide applicator training