Cow maintenance represents a considerable cost to ranchers, but today’s technology could offer alternatives. George Seidel, PhD., a Colorado State University distinguished professor and rancher, describes a system using sexed semen to breed an all-heifer herd and marketing heifers as feeder cattle once they’ve weaned their first calf.
Drop the cow from cow-calf production?
- “Using farmers as educators, not mascots”
- Saving the lesser prairie chicken: What landowners should know
- Marbling and functional cows
- Cattle Outlook: Fed cattle prices strengthen
- Beef Herd Expansion: More fencing, choose supplies carefully
- Cattle pot overturns in Fort Worth, killing at least a dozen head