Animal scientist Jerry Lipsey, PhD, spent his career with breed associations and in academia. At this year’s Cattlemen’s College, he outlined some basic criteria for selecting replacement females that will contribute to productivity and profitability, saying the number-one indicator of profitability in a cow herd is stayability, or the fertile longevity of females.
What matters in heifer selection
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- State cattlemen’s groups to USDA: Hands off the checkoff
- Six universities launch animal ag industry climate change website
- Rabobank projects substantial growth in Brazil feedlot sector
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges