Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 medium carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 2-inch lengths
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3- to 3 1/4-pound beef eye of round roast
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Instructions for Spiced roast beef and vegetables
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place first 3 ingredients in heavy small plastic bag. Using meat mallet or rolling pin, crush spices. Transfer crushed spices to small bowl; mix in salt, ginger and cayenne.
- Toss potatoes, carrots and 3 tablespoons oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread vegetables in large roasting pan. Roast 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using tip of knife, make several slits in roast; insert garlic into slits. Brush roast with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Rub spice mixture over roast.
- Push vegetables to sides of pan, leaving space in center. Place roast in center of pan. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 125°F for medium-rare, about 1 hour. Transfer roast to platter. Tent with foil. Increase oven temperature to 450°F. Spread vegetables in pan; continue roasting until vegetables are tender and brown, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Surround roast with vegetables. Cut roast into thin slices and serve.
Find more great beef recipes at Epicurious.com.
Want to see your best recipe featured? Share it with us today!