Commentary: Crossbreed or straightbreed?
Much of your success in the beef business hinges on the genetics of your cow herd, and crossbreeding has long been advocated as a way to gain productivity and profitability. Through a campaign that is sure to summon controversy, a prominent breed association challenges how we appraise crossbreeding. FULL STORY »
Change for the Worse
If you’ve eaten one in the past few years, you probably noticed: Tomatoes today look good, but they taste bad. Or, more accurately, they don’t really taste like anything. FULL STORY »
Coping with a rain-free zone
Natural disasters just sap the optimism out of everyone they touch. But drought can be especially cruel. It lingers for months, sometimes years. And recovery can take even longer. FULL STORY »
Legal battles loom with use of drones
Intelligence gathered by unmanned military drones significantly aided the mission of Navy Seal Team 6 when they stormed Osama bin Laden’s compound in Afghanistan last year. FULL STORY »
Outraged, but not over pink slime
Years of food-safety research and development were flushed in a matter of days last month due to a media firestorm over an icky moniker attached to a beef product by a former USDA employee. FULL STORY »
- Is there a right to farm?
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- In the Cattle Markets: Northern Plains calf marketing situation
- Food Babe visits my university
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- Farmers’ biggest issue may be consumer expectations in the future