Henry Wilson with Dakota Ranch in Sandersville, Ga., submitted this simple, inexpensive and yet practical tip. Calves feeding at a trough, he says, often waste feed by dragging it out as they lift their heads and spilling it on the ground. A 1-inch-square strip of wood trim mounted to the inside front of the feeder prevents much of this feed spillage. Wilson estimated the cost for adding the strip of wood at about 8 cents per foot.
Simple feed saver
- Commentary: Smoking or meat-eating?
- Feeder cattle review: Weather, light receipts limit market action
- Control weeds now for better pastures this summer
- Cattle Outlook: Boxed beef prices advance, fed prices retract
- Using the “Nebraska advantage” to grow the livestock industry
- U.S. readies for more 'extremely tough' trade talks with Japan
Caterpillar D Series Skid Steer and Compact Track Loaders