Henry Wilson with Dakota Ranch in Sandersville, Ga., submitted this simple, inexpensive and yet practical tip. Calves feeding at a trough, he says, often waste feed by dragging it out as they lift their heads and spilling it on the ground. A 1-inch-square strip of wood trim mounted to the inside front of the feeder prevents much of this feed spillage. Wilson estimated the cost for adding the strip of wood at about 8 cents per foot.
Simple feed saver
- Cause of California drought linked to climate change
- Sorting cows for more efficient winter supplemental feeding
- The new GMO concern: Superweeds
- Hay quality and supplemental feeding for cattle
- Not so fast on plans to import beef from Brazil, Argentina
- Beef pricing worksheet for producers considering direct marketing