A recent survey revealed that back injuries are the most common injury experienced by farmers. To avoid problems, follow these safety guidelines:
- Avoid bending at the waist when lifting a heavy item. Instead, bend at knees and keep your back straight-forcing your legs and arms to do the lifting, not your back.
- When picking up a light item, use the "golfer's lift." To do this, raise one of your legs backward, when reaching over to pick up the item.
- Avoid twisting at the waist when lifting.
- Face what you are lifting.
- Lift only what you can't pull and pull what you can't push.