While calving pastures, rather than dry lots, work best for calving, sometimes a cow or heifer needs help calving in cases of dystocia. If calving assistance is necessary and a calving facility is an option, sanitation is extremely important. Follow these tips to prevent the spread of disease.
- Use disposable gloves.
- Clean the vulva and surrounding area with soap and water prior to calving.
- Keep the OB instruments in disinfected water.
- Maintain a clean calf puller and disinfect it after each use.
- Keep the calving stall clean, dry and bedded.
- Apply iodine to the calf's navel after delivery.
- Establish a treatment area separate from the calving facilities.