Pasture bloat can be a problem for cattle during the early grazing season on pastures that contain alfalfa or clover. Feeding an anti-foaming agent supplement can help.
Several measures can prevent bloat:
- Plant and manage pastures for no more than 50 percent alfalfa or clover forage.
- Provide anti-foaming agent 48 hours before turning cattle out on pasture.
- Provide treated supplements morning and evening, or if once per day, feed in the morning before animals fill on pasture.
- Fill cattle on dry roughage before turnout on legume pastures.
- At initial turnout, wait until mid-day for moisture to dry from foliage.