click image to zoom Stocker and feeder cattle prices were steady to $1 lower during December, but the 2012 annual averages were significantly higher, according to Drovers/CattleNetwork’s 50-market auction summary. Steer calves weighing 400 to 500 pounds averaged $164.90 during December but posted an annual average price of $173.10 per hundredweight, 14 percent higher than 2011. Yearling steers averaged $140.37 in December but averaged $155.82 for 2012, 16 percent higher than 2011. Heifer calves sold for an average of $145.13 in December, while posting an annual average of $152.84 during 2012, up 13 percent from 2011.
Annual averages signifi cantly higher
- I'm a Drover: Grace and tenacity
- Jolley: Winchester Dairy accused of animal abuse
- Conservationists demand end to killing Yellowstone bison
- Vance Agribusiness names 2014 40 Under 40 honorees
- Make preparations this fall to sod-seed pastures and hay meadows
- Cattle at the Crossroads: Prices driven by supply and demand