click image to zoom Stocker and feeder cattle prices were steady to $1 lower during December, but the 2012 annual averages were significantly higher, according to Drovers/CattleNetwork’s 50-market auction summary. Steer calves weighing 400 to 500 pounds averaged $164.90 during December but posted an annual average price of $173.10 per hundredweight, 14 percent higher than 2011. Yearling steers averaged $140.37 in December but averaged $155.82 for 2012, 16 percent higher than 2011. Heifer calves sold for an average of $145.13 in December, while posting an annual average of $152.84 during 2012, up 13 percent from 2011.
Annual averages signifi cantly higher
- Is there a right to farm?
- El Niño development stalled out, but wet winter still predicted
- In the Cattle Markets: Northern Plains calf marketing situation
- Food Babe visits my university
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- Farmers’ biggest issue may be consumer expectations in the future