click image to zoom Stocker and feeder cattle prices were steady to $1 lower during December, but the 2012 annual averages were significantly higher, according to Drovers/CattleNetwork’s 50-market auction summary. Steer calves weighing 400 to 500 pounds averaged $164.90 during December but posted an annual average price of $173.10 per hundredweight, 14 percent higher than 2011. Yearling steers averaged $140.37 in December but averaged $155.82 for 2012, 16 percent higher than 2011. Heifer calves sold for an average of $145.13 in December, while posting an annual average of $152.84 during 2012, up 13 percent from 2011.
Annual averages signifi cantly higher
- Feeder Cattle Review: Bullish cattle-on-feed report fuels fire
- Cattle Outlook: Fed cattle prices set new records
- Mid-year inventory shows further declines in cattle numbers
- Ag futures ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Ag markets remained quite mixed at noon Friday
- Building beef cow herd requires quality management and genetics