From late November through mid-December, stocker and yearling feeder calves were mostly steady compared to gains in recent months. Yearling heifer calves experienced the largest change compared to November data, dropping $2.37, according to Drovers/CattleNetwork’s 50-market auction summary. Steer calves weighing 400-500 pounds averaged $189.94 per hundredweight in December compared to $188.05 in November. Yearling steers weighing 600-700 pounds dropped 2 cents to $158.68. Heifer calves weighing 400-500 pounds averaged $165.75 in December, down less than 20 cents compared to November’s $165.92. Yearling heifers averaged $141.86 compared to $144.23 the previous month.
Feeder calves steady in December
- Feeder Cattle Review: Bullish cattle-on-feed report fuels fire
- Okla. Attorney General keeps pressure on HSUS
- Mid-year inventory shows further declines in cattle numbers
- High cattle prices, availability of replacement cows persist
- Herd rebuilding will be a slow process
- Cattle Outlook: Fed cattle prices set new records