click image to zoom Prices for calves and yearlings started the New Year strong, with average prices $7 to $11 per hundredweight higher, according to Drovers/CattleNetwork’s 50-market auction summary. Steer calves weighing 400 to 500 pounds posted an average gain of $11.37 per hundredweight for the month at $176.27. Yearling steers averaged $147.64 in January, a $7.27 bump from December’s average. Heifer calves sold for an average of $151.79 in January, an increase of $6.67 per hundredweight. Yearling heifers weighing more than 600 pounds saw average bids last month of $131.40 per hundredweight, a gain of $5.31 from the previous month.
Stocker/Feeder Markets: Calves, yearlings start strong
- Ag markets posted mixed closes Tuesday afternoon
- World Farmers’ Organisation attends UN Climate Summit
- White House to take on antibiotic resistance
- Researchers: Cattle welfare more important than cost to consumers
- NCBA representative addresses Beef Checkoff changes
- Monday Market Sentiment: 5-area cash trade slips