Despite a late-month rally, all classes of stocker and feeder cattle posted declines during April, according to Drovers/CattleNetwork’s 50-market auction summary. Steer calves weighing 400 to 500 pounds posted an average loss of $6.66 per hundredweight for the month at $164.94. Yearling steers averaged $138.19 in April, a $3.74 decline from March. Heifer calves sold for an average of $143.63 in April, a decrease of $5.12 per hundredweight. Yearling heifers weighing more than 600 pounds saw average bids last month of $123.13 per hundredweight, a drop of $2.09 from March.
Stocker/Feeder Markets: Demand weakens as spring arrives
- Most crop futures are starting Thursday on a strong note
- Harvest delays increase odds of yield loss for corn growers
- Learning how calves perform post weaning
- Purdue experts to address changing ag market conditions
- New book delves into ‘Depolarizing Food and Agriculture’
- Surging soy prices sparked a broad crop-market advance Wednesday