Calf prices higher, feeders steady
Increased moisture in the West and Southwest has improved grazing prospects supporting stocker prices during November. According to Drovers' 50-market summary, steer calves 400 to 500 pounds averaged $103.22 per hundredweight. Feeder steers, 600 to 700 pounds were mostly steady at $86.82 per hundredweight. Heifer calves weighing 400 to 500 pounds sold for $92.48 per hundred- weight, up $2. Yearling heifers averaged $79.22 per hundredweight. Calf prices will trend higher in January. The corn market will largely determine the amount of price risk for feeder cattle in the new year.
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Food Babe visits my university
- Rabobank projects substantial growth in Brazil feedlot sector
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- Eating certain fats might offset some heart risk from weight gain
- Farmers’ biggest issue may be consumer expectations in the future