Colorado State University animal scientist Jason Ahola, PhD, shows an international tour group the University’s Grow Safe system of feed bunks used to measure feed efficiency in individual cattle. The system uses electronic ID tags and readers, along with load cells under each bunk, to record each animal’s feeding behavior and intake.
Feed-efficiency research at CSU
- “Using farmers as educators, not mascots”
- Saving the lesser prairie chicken: What landowners should know
- Marbling and functional cows
- Cattle Outlook: Fed cattle prices strengthen
- Beef Herd Expansion: More fencing, choose supplies carefully
- Cattle pot overturns in Fort Worth, killing at least a dozen head