At the Leachman Cattle of Colorado bull sale, Wyoming rancher Mike Healy discusses the traits he looks for in bulls, combining reproductive performance on the ranch and feedyard profits. Healy has retained ownership of calves through finishing at Decatur County Feed Yard in Kansas for years, and applies individual performance and carcass data back to his breeding program.
Learning from retained ownership
- “Using farmers as educators, not mascots”
- Saving the lesser prairie chicken: What landowners should know
- Marbling and functional cows
- Cattle Outlook: Fed cattle prices strengthen
- Beef Herd Expansion: More fencing, choose supplies carefully
- Cattle pot overturns in Fort Worth, killing at least a dozen head