At the Leachman Cattle of Colorado bull sale, Wyoming rancher Mike Healy discusses the traits he looks for in bulls, combining reproductive performance on the ranch and feedyard profits. Healy has retained ownership of calves through finishing at Decatur County Feed Yard in Kansas for years, and applies individual performance and carcass data back to his breeding program.
Learning from retained ownership
- Where is the safety net? There is no safety net
- Lead negotiator sees January finish for overdue U.S. farm bill
- Crop markets mostly higher Tuesday night
- California seminars offer cattle handling, ultrasound training
- December 2013: Did you know...
- California ranchers weigh options as dry spell lingers
- Ethanol cut may drive down U.S. corn prices, drive up subsidies
- Bale grazing popularity continues to grow
- U.S. beef imports strengthen in 2012
- Resource guide assists military veterans interested in farming
- Thursday's auction offers fresh start for S.D. beef plant
- Dodge ‘Year of the Farmer’ comes to life in photo collection