Iowa Beef Center and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach are teaming up with University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the Nebraska Beef Council to offer a Feedlot Roundtable session at five Iowa locations on Thursday, Feb. 9. IBC extension beef program specialist Erika Lundy said these sessions are offered annually in Nebraska and a cooperative arrangement between the two state universities offers internet access for Iowans to the afternoon session.
Topics and speakers for this year’s session, which runs from 1 to 4:30 p.m.:
- Environmental effects on bovine respiratory disease, Brian Vander Ley, Great Plains Veterinary Educational Center
- Options for marketing fed cattle, and what fed cattle exchange entails, Steve Sunderman, producer, Nebraska Cattlemen Committee
- Facts and fiction regarding livestock and climate change, Frank Mitloehner, University of California-Davis
This webinar is part of an agreement between ISU Extension and Outreach and UNL Extension to share livestock educational resources and programs.
“New this year for the Iowa locations, we’ll host an Iowa State feedlot research update at the Ames location that will be broadcast to the other four Iowa locations via an internet connection,” Lundy said. “This update will feature information from trials on trace mineral supplementation levels to implanted and non-implanted steers, effects of sources of trace minerals on steer recovery from mineral deficiencies, and a five-year summary of feeding efficiency research."
The update will be presented by graduate students Emma Niedermayer and Sarah Hartman and associate professor Stephanie Hansen.
See the program flier with information for all five Iowa locations at http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/events/2017BeefRoundtable.pdf.
The $10 fee is payable at the door and covers materials and refreshments. Those interested in attending should preregister for the location they will attend by Feb. 7 using the following contact information.
- ISU Hansen Ag Student Center, 2508 Mortensen Rd, Ames; Iowa Beef Center, firstname.lastname@example.org, 515-294-2333
ISU Extension and Outreach county office locations
- Delaware County, 1417 N. Franklin St., Manchester; Denise Schwab, email@example.com, 319-472-4739
- Hancock County, 327 West 8th St., Garner; Russ Euken, firstname.lastname@example.org, 641-923-2856
- Howard County, 132 1st Ave. West, Cresco; Sue Barnes, email@example.com, 563-547-3001
- Webster County, 217 S. 25th St., Ste. C12, Fort Dodge; Linda Cline, firstname.lastname@example.org, 515-576-2119
More information is available from the Iowa Beef Center website at www.iowabeefcenter.org, ISU Extension and Outreach county offices or ISU Extension and Outreach beef program specialists.