Are you prepared for implementation of the Veterinary Feed Directive on January 1, 2017? Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, Iowa Farm Bureau, and the Iowa Veterinary Medical Association are partnering to offer an educational series about the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD). Iowa State Extension beef program specialist Chris Clark said Iowa veterinarians, livestock producers, and feed industry personnel are invited to participate.
“The program will include a general overview of the VFD, species break-outs, and discussion panels featuring veterinarians, producers, and feed industry personnel,” Clark said. “The implementation date of January 1, 2017, is approaching and at this point people may have some specific questions or scenarios that they are unsure about. Hopefully we can help answer some questions and clarify some of those issues.”
Iowa veterinarians, livestock producers and feed industry personnel are invited to attend any of the 11 session locations. Each program features breakout and discussion sessions, with a primary objective of helping attendees learn about the roles and responsibilities of all involved parties.
“Implementation of the VFD will require cooperation and communication between veterinarians, producers, and feed industry personnel,” Clark said. “It’s important that each party knows not only their own responsibilities but also what to expect from the other two parties. It may be really valuable to hear what others are thinking and planning in regard to implementation of the VFD.”
The series runs from Aug. 22 through Sept. 1 with specific times set for each location. There is no fee to attend, but preregistration is encouraged to assist organizers with planning. Please register by calling the number associated with the session you would like to attend.
- Monday, Aug. 22, 1 to 4 p.m. – First United Methodist Church, Emmetsburg, RSVP to the Palo Alto County Extension Office, 712-852-2865.
- Tuesday, Aug. 23, 1 to 4 p.m. – ISU Extension meeting room, Orange City, RSVP to the Sioux County Extension Office, 712-737-4230.
- Tuesday, Aug. 23, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. – ISU Extension meeting room, Storm Lake, RSVP to the Buena Vista County Extension Office, 712-732-5056.
- Wednesday, Aug. 24, 1 to 4 p.m. – NE Iowa Dairy Center, Calmar, RSVP to the Benton County Extension Office, 319-472-4739.
- Wednesday, Aug. 24, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. – Buzzy’s, Welton, RSVP to the Benton County Extension Office, 319-472-4739.
- Thursday, Aug. 25, 9 a.m. to noon – Heartland Acres Agribition Center, Independence, RSVP to the Benton County Extension Office, 319-472-4739.
- Monday, Aug. 29, 9 a.m. to noon – Swan Lake Conservation Center, Carroll, RSVP to the Carroll County Extension Office, 712-792-2364.
- Monday, Aug. 29, 6 to 9 p.m. – Cass County Community Center, Atlantic, RSVP to the Cass County Extension Office, 712-243-1132.
- Tuesday, Aug. 30, 1 to 4 p.m. – ISU Extension Office Hancock County, Garner, RSVP to the Hancock County Extension Office, 641-923-2856.
- Wednesday, Aug. 31, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. – ISU Extension Office Washington County, Washington, RSVP to the Washington County Extension Office, 319-653-4811.
- Thursday, Sept. 1, 1 to 4 p.m. – Carpenters Hall, Chariton, RSVP to the Lucas County Extension Office, 641-774-2016.
For more general information, contact Clark at 712-250-0070 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You also can contact your regional Iowa State Extension livestock specialist.