Making decisions about our food dollars
The numbers that track how much money the U.S. population spends on food are remarkable. Because most of us buy our food, we do put “money where our mouths are,” and we have a lot of options on how that money is spent. The Economic Research Service, a division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, compiles summary statistics about food production, distribution and sales. One of its tables of data provides the Food Consumer Price Index and food expenditures over time for the United States. In 1935, families and individuals spent 23.4 percent of their disposable income on food. In the years... View Expert Column Post »
Thoughts on the Farm Bill: How should it influence food production, and to what end?
You might know that Congress is failing to come to agreement on a new Farm Bill. This is important because the Farm Bill governs agriculture and food policy at the federal level for about five years at a time. The last Farm Bill was passed in 2008, but it has not yet been renewed because there is lack of agreement on what our national food policy should be. Although there are many factors that influence the workings of our national food supply and distribution, this piece of legislation is the closest thing we have to a national food policy. Not surprisingly,... View Expert Column Post »
- Meredith: The good, the bad and Food Babe
- Blog: Why I don’t like Carrie Underwood
- Federal Policy: Why it matters to agriculture
- Meredith: Profile of a Millennial: Google, The Magic Bus and Me
- The economical and versatile Boston butt
- Rising OI in deferred hog contracts indicates large hedge paper
- Meredith: My hope for ag in 2014: Christmas Jammies
- Grains will bounce but from where
- Show Mom Diaries: Show moms in Scotland – they’re just like us
- Management factors that put pre-weaned calves at risk of respiratory disease
- Star Wars meets agriculture
- Could this be one alternative to feedyard antibiotics that actually delivers?
- Chipotle & Panera: Food for thought
- Meredith: Find your inner 'Googliness'
- Show Mom Diaries: The empty halter
- Show Mom Diaries: That’ll do, girl. That’ll do.
- Hold still, fellas. This could end up hurting a little
- Meredith: Millennials, the “greener” generation?
- Cash Steer Trade Occurred late Friday at $1.22, Down 2 Cents
- Look for Another Round of Lower Cash Steer Prices This Week