Making decisions about our food dollars
The numbers that track how much money the U.S. population spends on food are remarkable. Because most of us buy our food, we do put “money where our mouths are,” and we have a lot of options on how that money is spent. The Economic Research Service, a division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, compiles summary statistics about food production, distribution and sales. One of its tables of data provides the Food Consumer Price Index and food expenditures over time for the United States. In 1935, families and individuals spent 23.4 percent of their disposable income on food. In the years... View Expert Column Post »
Thoughts on the Farm Bill: How should it influence food production, and to what end?
You might know that Congress is failing to come to agreement on a new Farm Bill. This is important because the Farm Bill governs agriculture and food policy at the federal level for about five years at a time. The last Farm Bill was passed in 2008, but it has not yet been renewed because there is lack of agreement on what our national food policy should be. Although there are many factors that influence the workings of our national food supply and distribution, this piece of legislation is the closest thing we have to a national food policy. Not surprisingly,... View Expert Column Post »
- Grains will bounce but from where
- Cash Steer Trade Occurred late Friday at $1.22, Down 2 Cents
- Look for Another Round of Lower Cash Steer Prices This Week
- Pork Product Remains in Good Shape
- What We (Still) Have Here is a Failure to Communicate
- Grasses were forged for a different world
- Can we really rely on beef’s efficiency story to earn us a seat at the ‘sustainability’ table? Another sobering shot across our bow
- Making decisions about our food dollars
- Tackle the tough issues
- Five things you need to know about the Affordable Care Act
- It’s our turn
- Aug. 1, 2013 - OiI in lean hogs down 4,500 on yesterday’s lower close
- Aug. 6, 2013 - Fifty cattle deliveries posted on FND against August live cattle
- A look at the high, and increasing, cost of treating feedlot respiratory disease
- Animal activists: Keep fairs fair
- Debriefing the drought’s impact on calf health: Where can you go from here?
- Better dewormer targeting using Estimated Breeding Values, blood tests and behavior monitoring. Would it work?
- 2014 Outlook
- What health impact would animal ID make in an outbreak?
- What Would it Take to Eradicate Trich?
More Than Manure® (MTM®) Nutrient Manager