- 2 pounds beef Short Ribs
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) double-strength beef broth or beef consommé
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef Short Ribs on all sides. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Add broth, 1 cup wine, onions, garlic and thyme to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove Short Ribs from stockpot; keep warm. Strain vegetables and skim fat from cooking liquid. Reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid for sauce; discard remaining cooking liquid.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots and minced thyme; cook and stir 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add reserved cooking liquid and cornstarch mixture to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes; stirring often. Remove skillet from heat; stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Serve sauce over Short Ribs.