Total Recipe Time: 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 beef Tenderloin Roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups finely diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 425°F. Combine cheese, 2 tablespoons thyme and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; roll roast in cheese mixture to cover all surfaces.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 35 to 45 minutes for medium rare; 45 to 50 minutes for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned. Add tomatoes, broth, wine and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 2 cups and is a rich, brown color, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 145°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10° to 15°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices. Season with salt, as desired. Serve with Savory Mushroom Sauce.