At the “Best of Beef Breakfast” during last week’s Cattle Industry Convention in San Antonio, Vance Publishing, the NCBA and attendees recognized the beef industry honorees from the 2014 40 Under 40 program.
The 40 Under 40 program, launched in 2013, recognizes 40 young leaders from across North American agriculture. The program’s sponsor, Vance Publishing, is the parent company of Drovers/CattleNetwork, Bovine Veterinarian, Cow Calf Producer and a list of other livestock and crop publications.
Each year, individuals or organizations can nominate their young peers or associates for the award. An independent panel of distinguished judges reviews the nominations, eventually narrowing the list down to 40 honorees. With the world’s population expected to grow to 9 billion by 2050, creating a need for agriculture to double food production by that time, today’s young leaders will be instrumental in meeting the challenge.
The 2014 40 Under 40 class included individuals from across agriculture, but six of the honorees who work directly in the beef business were on hand at the 2015 Cattle Industry Convention, and attended the awards breakfast, which was attended by more than 500 people. During the breakfast, each of those honorees walked across the stage to receive recognition from the crowd and a plaque from Vance Executive Director, Agribusiness Matt Morgan.
The honorees in attendance were:
- Sarah Aubrey, principal and owner, Prosperity Consulting LLC
- Christy Bratcher, associate professor, animal science, Auburn University
- Kristina Butts, executive director – legislative affairs, NCBA
- Jason Ellis, associate professor, agricultural communications, Kansas State University
- Trevor Hall, VP and portfolio manager, Farm Credit Services Southwest.
- Keith Uniderwood, assistant professor and Extension meat specialist, South Dakota State University
Nominations for the 2015 40 Under 40 candidates are now open. Visit the program website for more information.