For those who need help with filing taxes, there are options to have those1040s file for free, said Laura Connerly, assistant professor for family and consumer economics with the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture.

“Commercial tax preparers charge from $55-$100 for a basic return,” she said. “Products such as refund anticipation loans and refund anticipation checks add $60 or more in extra fees.”

However, Connerly said there are options at every income level. And while those with complicated returns may need help from professional tax preparers, the average tax filer can save a lot by using a free service.

Here are some options to consider:

Online - IRS Free File is a partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance. Use Free File Software if your income is $60,000 or less and Free File Fillable Forms if your income is greater than $60,000. Find more information about IRS Free File at

My Free Taxes is step-by-step online filing for individuals and families with incomes of less than $60,000. The 2014 MyFreeTaxes Partnership campaign, now in its sixth year, allows free, online federal and state preparation and filing in all 50 states. Learn more about tax credits and file free with My Free Taxes at

In person - Volunteer Income Assistance, or VITA, sites can be found in community centers, libraries, schools, and other local places. Trained volunteers provide tax preparation for filers with household incomes of $53,000 or less. The AARP Tax Aide program offers free tax help to people ages 60 and up.  AARP volunteers provide in-person assistance at sites in local communities.  To find the nearest VITA site, call (800)-906-9887.  To locate an AARP site call 888-227-7669.  Look for VITA or Tax Aide sites online at