The FDA has released a series of Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) brochures, which list the specific responsibilities of veterinarians, clients and distributors such as feed mills for compliance with the new VFD rules. The brochures also include a list of commonly asked questions and answers and the specific information to include on a lawful VFD.
The new VFD rule, which will end over-the-counter access to medically important feed-grade antibiotics and place their use under the control of veterinarians, will take effect in December 2016, and the FDA currently is working to help affected veterinarians, producers and suppliers prepare for the changes.
The available brochures include:
- Veterinary Feed Directive Requirements for Veterinarians
- Veterinary Feed Directive Producer Requirements
- Veterinary Feed Directive Requirements for Distributors (Who Manufacture VFD Feed)
- Veterinary Feed Directive Requirements for Distributors (Who Do Not Manufacture VFD Feed)
- Veterinary Feed Directive Requirements for Veterinary Students